I was listening to a pastor this morning and he was talking about suffering. Now I wish I was quick enough to have caught his name, but I joined late. :o)
What got me is this; he said that "suffering is tied to elevation, promotion, and honor" - of course referencing our Savior. He talked about in Mark, there was a time when James & John requested to sit at His right side. Interestingly enough, he told them that he did not have the authority.
I love how he said that Jesus, though He was "in authority", He also recogninized that
He was "under authority." I think this is a great lesson to all of us because although we are empowered by the Holy Spirit and we will reign with Him forever, we must remember to remain bowed at His feet.
He also made a point that v. 42 (yes, I know - I missed the chapter too) - that whoever wants to be a leader, must be a servant first. Jesus was fighting a mindset that in being a leader, people are subserviant to you.
The best portion of the sermon focused on two questions:
1. Am I a leader to serve?
VS.
2. Am I a servant to God to whom He gives opportunities to lead?
The first question, he explained, is where you are more aware of your "leadership" so you pick & choose your opportunities. But in the second, your focus is God's focus, so you will choose everything He leads you too.
It's really something to think about.
Which question best represents you? Which do you want to be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment